Eastern Medicine has proven to be effective in the treatment of migraines through acupuncture, massage, and diet. In this post, we will discuss ways in which Eastern style massages are utilized to mitigate the various types of headaches.
Types of Headaches and How Massage Helps
The different types of headaches that can plague an individual are: tension, cluster, sinus, rebound, and migraines.
- Tension headaches are due to misalignment’s which do not allow for proper movement of blood and lymph through the system. Eastern massage is most effective in treating these types of headaches because structural corrections will be made by a practitioner.
- Cluster headaches usually occur on one side of the head and maintain a circular pattern. Their attacks can last for months and be devastatingly painful. There is no warning when they start and usually last for 15 minutes and then return several times in one day. Eastern style massage treats this type of headache by balancing the Qi of the system, along with diet changes. It is believed in Eastern medicine that cluster headaches are a result of either excess or depletion, which is determined by the practitioner. Re-balancing the system takes time, but massage can reduce the pain that comes with the headache and reduce the time it takes to get a patient into remission.
- Sinus Headaches can come with a sinus infection or can be a result of seasonal allergies. The sinus cavity is inflamed during this time and puts pressure on the skull creating the headache. Eastern massage utilizes pressure points to draw the inflammation out, relaxes the patient, and improves the lymphatic function to aid the body in clearing the infection or reduce the allergic reaction.
- Rebound Headaches are the result of the body becoming immune to a particular drug used to treat a headache. As the drug becomes less effective the headache returns worse than before. Eastern massage treats these types of headaches by stimulating circulation to flush the body of the drug more rapidly, relaxing the patient’s autonomic system to reduce the pain, and by balancing the Qi of the body to reduce the likelihood of a follow up headache.
- Migraine Headaches are associated with nausea, difficulty with lights/sound and excruciating pain that can last from 1 hour to 72 hours. Eastern medicine sees these types of headaches as a deep imbalance of the system and require multiple treatments including diet and lifestyle changes. Eastern massage can reduce the effects and frequency of a migraine by balancing the Qi of the system, relaxing the body’s autonomic response, and correcting any structural impingement’s that may be aggravating the system.
Consulting A Doctor
Eastern medicine has be effective against headaches of all kinds for many years, but it is still necessary to consult with a doctor. The practitioners at Ground Luminosity work with their patients and many of the surrounding doctors to track the progress and treatment of their patients. There are many treatments available for headaches from both Western and Eastern medicine. It is often that a blend of these treatments has the most successful outcome.
Click here for video on self massage when having a headache or migraine